Pine Cay has played an important role in providing fresh water to seafarers since the days of Christopher Columbus.
Historians estimate that Columbus’ first stop in the New World was in the Turks and Caicos Islands in October 1492 where he restocked the ship’s water supplies on route to Cuba.
In 1958, Count Ferdinand Czernin made the trip to Pine Cay to see for himself if the island truly had a fresh water supply. In addition to finding water, he also discovered a peaceful little private island which had no occupants. It was serene and untouched, teeming with iguanas, and great white herons, stretches of pines and palmettos, and abundant and varied flora. He thought that this secluded island hideaway in the Turks and Caicos could gradually be expanded to accommodate like-minded friends, who were eager to escape the stresses and demands of their more cosmopolitan lifestyles.
Unfortunately, Count Czernin passed away in 1966 without realizing his dream of inhabiting this deserted island hideaway in the Turks and Caicos Islands. However, his widow Helen, came back to Pine Cay and together with good friend, George Nipanich, continued the legacy her husband had dreamed about. The Meridian Club – named for the proposed location of the clubhouse which came through the middle of the 22nd meridian and intersected with the 72nd meridian – opened its doors in the early 1970s.
Today, 37 comfortable private homes and a 13-guestroom beach club offer an idyllic escape from the stresses of everyday life. Sandy “highways” criss cross the island, and on-island transportation relies on battery operated golf carts and bicycles. Unspoiled beaches, turquoise water, fresh drinking water and an abundance of flora and fauna continue to be the hallmark of the secluded island hideaway that Count Ferdinand Czernin once fell in love with, and which continues to honour his pioneering spirit.